Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Little things make me happy

Yesterday was our first day back after the holidays.  I didn't feel well and we had only five students show up.  Today we also had only five students but I felt better and it was a good day.  Two quite faithful students have been absent and have not called.  I am concerned.  One new student also is a no-show.  So it seems to be a week of some uncertainty.  Plus I have jury duty on Thursday for the first time ever.  The students seem to know more than I do about jury selection--in one case, having watched it from "when my baby's daddy was on trial and it took two days to choose a jury."  That must have been a serious offense.

So here are the little things that make me happy--and it may not seem like it takes much!

When I said one of my new year's resolutions was to sit in my rocking chair in the kitchen and just be there--to think and pray.  T said "What was that vocabulary word we learned before Christmas?"  It was "contemplate"--I'm glad she thought of it.

When D was doing map work, she saw "Madagascar".  She said that some dude told her he was from Madagascar and she laughed at him and said that was a movie.  Now she knows he wasn't kidding.

D and K both smiled today--and maybe even laughed.  Part of the humor may have been the reaction when I talked to the bailiff on my cell phone.  They asked what would happen if I didn't show up.  I said I'd be in real trouble and as T said, "Jim will get a collect call from you" (from jail.) 

  Yesterday four out of five students could not draw a picture of 2 1/2 as requested on a textbook review page.  Today we used pictures, notched rulers, and money.  There were some "Ahs" as they got it--maybe.  Yet a few still tried to draw  6 1/4 inches instead of  6/4.  No wonder the processes are so hard to remember when there is so little concept as a foundation.  Maybe I will repeat and extend this lesson when my supervisor comes to observe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment