Saturday, January 22, 2011

Score: 2-1

I heard two stories that saddened me this week and one that pleased me.  First the good; then the bad.

A, a former student, "friended" me on Facebook.  She said she was doing great, had gotten her high school diploma (not sure what that means) and was enrolling in cosmetology school January 31.  So that's the happy story--even if later that week she posted that there was crime tape all over her street.  A resident had endangered his parents and was shot by the police in a stand-off.

 T, another former student, posted on FB about her gratitude for her church and a woman in it.  I responded by saying how happy I was to read her posting.  Later in  the week, a friend of hers who brought her to that church, told me that T had delivered her third child in the last month, a little girl, and had given it up for adoption.  Three years ago we had been through this with her second child and she backed out of the adoption two days after delivery.    I had assured her the previous time that God would not send her to hell for giving up a baby. I wish she had more self esteem than to get involved with these "baby daddies."  The first father was shot and killed before the child was born; the second got out of jail and threatened her enough so that she called me and I brought her to the YWCA shelter.  I know nothing about this father. 

S dropped out of our class a few months ago and I never found out why.  Her mother told me that she was now enrolled at IVY Tech.  I mentioned the danger of getting student loans when you didn't have a GED.  Her mother said that she thought she did have a loan because she was getting a car.  I fear that enrolling in college and getting a loan is all a way of making easy money.  If she doesn't pass the GED in six months, she will have to repay that money and will not be able to get another loan.  I think.  I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment