Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The downside

Two laptop computers are missing.  Two of my students used them in Sally's classroom with minimal supervision from me.  Sally had checked one of them out and neither one of us checked the other out-probably because we were pulling it out together. 

  I called both students. One student said she left her laptop on the counter; the other said she put it in the computer chest.  Sally had students present in the room and was not in the room every minute.  It makes me sick to think that someone took them when we were close at hand.  Sally called our man from the church that owns the building and equipment.  The police will be called and there are tracers on the computers.  But I feel such a presence of evil and I know I was not careful enough and too trusting.

The other sense I have of the downside is looking at O's wall on Facebook last night hoping to find the photo of her son and her diploma.  Instead I found a posting about her eagerness to hit a hotel and really get drunk after two years of no drinking because of pregnancies. This is part of it:

ONLY GOT 1 MONTH UNTILL I HAVE THIS BABY!!!!  THE WEEKEND AFTER I HAVE HIM ITS A HOTEL PARTY 2 GET AS DRUNK AS U CAN!!!!! LET'S GET WASTED!!!!!

  What a stupid thing to look forward to after delivering a child--and how stupid to put it on public display on Facebook.   This kind of posting is why I am reluctant to "friend" students on FB and why I have hidden almost every one of the former students who are my "friends."  Actually I am not even her "friend", but her Wall must be open to public view.

No comments:

Post a Comment