Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Thanksgiving essay

With some hesitation, I assigned the topics "I am thankful for..." or "A Perfect  Thanksgiving Day" as essay topics when I was gone on Monday.  I am aware that not all Thanksgivings are ideal and in some cases, they may be very sad and stressful for  students.

To my surprise, D. wrote her first essay since joining the class and it was excellent.  It was well organized and written with detail and emotion about a perfect Thanksgiving Day.  It talked about family time playing games, the aroma from the kitchen, and meeting new family members and how it made her happy.  I praised her and said how nice it was that it was like that for her.  She said she wrote the essay with difficulty and in fact, made up a lot of it.  In some ways, that makes it even a greater accomplishment.  But it also seems sad that she needed to do that.  I wonder what her day really will be like tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment