Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A tsunami? an earthquake?

This morning I asked the students to name a few places in the news and then find them on the globe.  Maybe two or three out of the eight present seemed aware that a horrible earthquake had taken place in Japan with 10,000 dead or more.  Two of those students turn on the TV news in the morning.  The third one thought she had seen something posted on Facebook.  

No one seemed aware of the revolutions taking place in Egypt and Tunisia and the fighting in Libya.

Tomorrow, I begin taking in the newspaper from home or picking one up en route.  Or we look at a news source on the web.   I know there is often little awareness of other times and places, but this disaster is not a small thing.  How can they be unaware of it? 

One of the students who turns on the TV every morning at 6 am has received some of the best GED predictor scores in science and social studies this year.  No wonder she has done well.

1 comment:

  1. When I was visiting my sister a few weeks ago, I was trying to find Libya on a map they have on their kitchen table. When I wasn't finding it and wondered out loud where it was, my 6 year old niece ran over and pointed right to it. She could describe the flag as well. Did I feel shown up!! I could probably use a little more 6 am TV/radio. -c

    ReplyDelete