Tuesday, March 8, 2011

So close to trouble

It takes very little to set some sparks going.  Today J went back to the childcare room because her granny was coming to pick up her baby.  One of our child care teachers told her that a new 2 year old in class had scratched her daughter.  The students are to be told if there is an incident; they are not to be told who the culprit was.  I don't think this has come up this year and I am not sure we clarified that policy at the beginning of the year.  The teacher was not defensive when I asked her to refrain from naming names if it happened again.

J came back to the classroom and informed the mother of the 2 year old what had happened--in front of the class.  The mother said she was sorry but of course it wasn't her fault.   I hated for this incident to have happened on someone's first day in class.  I hope it does not upset her enough to stay away.

I told J I was unhappy that she pointed this out in front of everyone and that it took so little to make trouble in a class.  She said she really was upset and did feel like fighting because now her baby would go to her daddy's house and everyone would think she was a bad mother because she had a scratch.

It really has been a good year in that there have been few incidents of this nature. There often have been biters in the nursery or preschool and that took lots of supervision and created much anger on the part of mothers.  And last year there was trouble more often because of one student who said she was a lesbian and then another one who obviously had gender issues and flirted with one of the other students often.  Lots of "she said... and then she said... and it's my own business...no one has to be in my business...etc."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Mary, so much of what we want no part of but seems to come up anyway. I hope things settle down for the new student/child.

    ReplyDelete