Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"(or Not)" is winning!

I am having too much fun to quit.  Last week I sent out a request for "book club" sponsors on our church's email.  I asked for ten copies of one book that we could read every day in circle and then send home with families on Thursday.  I invited sponsors to read with us on Thursday.    Within a few days, I had six sponsors and two others who could contribute individual books.  I really like getting others involved in our program and I love telling our students (and my supervisor) that our church gives us this kind of support.

There are many rewards and affirmations daily or weekly, but sometimes there are some that come from way in the past.  Yesterday a student in the sixth grade I taught in 1971 found me on Facebook.  After making sure that she had the right person, she said that she had gone back to college at age 50 plus to become an elementary education teacher and that I had been somewhat of an influence in that decision!  Almost 40 years later!  I remember her as a fun-loving, creative 12 year old and it will be great to get to know her now as an adult. 

Then today a gentleman from Catholic Charities who mans the control desk at the Housing Authority site where we are located greeted me by name.  I asked his name and wondered how he knew mine.  He said that in 1997 he had toured the Oliver Mansion with my class--it must have been a GED class from the Hope Rescue Mission.  Whether he was a student or just came along, I don't remember.  Copsaholm, the historic home of the Oliver family in South Bend,  is memorable and I felt warmed that it must have meant something to him.

Sometimes I feel privileged to have such easy opportunities to help others.  It makes up for the fact that there is a new substitute bus driver who couldn't find the students' homes this morning and that the playground is closed for weeks due to major renovations at the Housing Authority and  everyone might not make it to the Talk with your Baby celebration tomorrow and that we have a three hour "professional development" staff meeting for adult education teachers on Thursday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, your blog title for today made me laugh/smile. I am also so glad to hear about the good response to the book club sponsorship request. It is a good idea for the sponsors to come on Thursday if they are able and want to.

    To your list of concerns: no playground for weeks!?!? How horrible! I hope there is some outdoor space to walk and that there are no problems with using the community room for active play. I hope, also, that you are able to attend the TWYB reception. So many complications, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, if I post a comment here do you see it?

    Right, no playground for weeks. They are using the community room and walking outside--leaving by the front door. Now the threat is that our own windows need to be taken out and replaced, but I have been assured (after persisting some) that they will do it on Fridays.

    I squealed audibly, "It's Amy and Kaylee" when I saw the promotional video. Nancy will try to send it to you. So you are a permanent part of TWYB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have not seen the promotional video. I didn't know we made the cut! I will e-mail Nancy to see if I can get it. It seems like they should be able to put it up on Youtube or something...

    Also, I don't think I did see your response to this comment. Usually, blogs have a place for commenters to subscribe to email alerts of future comments, but I didn't see that option here.

    ReplyDelete