Thursday, October 7, 2010

Contextualized instruction

Contextualized instruction are two of the latest buzz words.  I guess it means that the math we teach should relate to the student's life.  Or that writing and reading need to involve real life documents.

I  think one of my goals should be to  broaden that context of a student's life.  In the last week, however, I have been amused and delighted to hear how different the context of some words can be for me and for my students.  And so the context of my own life gets broadened!

For example, a student mentioned the word "coalition" as heard in someone's hip hop song.  I can't remember the phrase, but a woman needed to be approved by the singer's "coalition"--his bros or dudes.  Then there was the word "contemporary" which a student thought meant relaxed--in the way you could describe most contemporary jazz, I guess.  I remember one student defining "decline" as what happens when your credit card gets maxed out.   I enjoyed reading the word "donor" on someone's Facebook page to describe an absent "baby daddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment