Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sometimes it's fun!

The bus was a problem again.  This time two buses went to one housing project to pick up the same two families.   Again, this delayed the arrival of three students.   However, all seven families returned today in spite of dreary, rainy weather. 

I get my joy in little ways:  when S. says she had seen the word "cognitive" before but never knew what it meant,   when O. was full of ideas about the patterns in the tables of nines and, in fact, said she better let someone else take a turn, when S. said she would go right home and share those nines tricks with her ten-year-old daughter,  when the babies were so obviously delighted with the singing at circle time,  when a very wild 2 1/2 year old D. stopped his constant movement and tried to sing the alphabet song at circle.   Those are the rewards I would miss greatly.

A comment was made about my husband and retirement.  I always say I cannot even get him to retire from church softball, let alone his work as a professor.  He used to say he would quit and let the younger academics have a job, but now that he could do so, he thinks differently.  He has a major project that he never has time to work on.  Retirement would give him that time.  I wonder why he has such a hard time even contemplating the thought of that change in our lives. 

A long weekend ahead.  No posting for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Reading the second paragraph gave me chills---those are the things I miss about teaching, and FL in particular. It's sad to think of you leaving, you really are a [positive] South Bend legend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not leaving yet, Chriss! This is just a way of thinking things through. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete