Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ripple effects

Sometimes it seems hard to think of a title.  But I have been pondering the sad effects of one crime.  A student called after two weeks of intermittent excuses of no phone and sick children to say that she would like a leave of absence for a few weeks.  She did not say why except to say it wasn't fair to take someone else's place.  But the local paper reported the next day that the trial of her brother along with six others for murder had begun with jury selection.   I am thinking of the sad ramifications of this crime.  Not only is one young man dead, but six others will probably spend years in prison. And then think of all the sisters and mothers and children who are also affected.  P needed to drop out of class.  Her own 2 1/2 year old is out of control and needs to be in a structured and loving situation like our preschool.  (However our lives are easier without him there!)  We sent her a card today to say we would miss her and hoped she could come back soon.

The bus situation continues to be difficult.  The students say the driver "has an attitude."  She has driven for us for years off and on and is not pleasant to the students.  Some of them have memories of her that go back to elementary school days.  One of our staff, an attractive and very professional looking young black woman,  was helping the students get on the bus one day.   The driver (who is also black) snapped at her, "What are you doing here? Who are you?"  I have asked the students to greet her pleasantly and to thank her for the ride.  This morning it occurred to me that even though I pray for much at  Family Literacy, I had never prayed for this bus driver.  I told the students this and said that if they were praying women, and I knew some of them were, they could also pray for her.  How does prayer work?  I'm not sure it will change the bus driver, but it might change the students' attitudes toward her.  And maybe it will change her as well.  (Oh, ye of little faith!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mary, I found you!! Thanks for the invitation.

    I can't wait to read more...

    -christina

    ReplyDelete