Sunday, August 29, 2010

64 and counting

I'm 64 years old and will turn 65 during this school year.  I need to renew my teaching license by November 2011.  We set up our classrooms tomorrow and the students come on Wednesday.  Will this be the last time for this for me?

The decision may be made for me.  Funding is changing and adult education may no longer be under the auspices of the school corporations next year.  But the emphases have changed many times over the years from life skills to academics and now to work force development.

I have done lots of reading over the summer and have several ideas for improving our time in class.  This is a good thing.  I have met three of the new students and was encouraged by their eagerness to be a part of our class.  That too is a good thing.

It is hard for me to imagine a life without the challenge and rewards of teaching.  One former student called me a "legend in South Bend."  That could be good or bad!  But I am very comfortable in my classroom and that makes students comfortable.

I guess I will use this blog to record the good and the not so good and maybe that will help me decide if I can give this up or if giving it up would be a big mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment