Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An iphone

  I am learning to use my iphone as a tool for Family Literacy.  Several students have texted me to ask to be excused from class.  Apparently even when there are no minutes for calling, one can still text.  I have taken a few photos and will send them on to the families. 

For a long time, I have wondered how we could read or listen or watch the daily news.  But it never seemed to work out very well for timing or for getting enough newspapers.    I have now downloaded a radio ap on my iphone and from there have downloaded a four minute NPR news summary and a one minute CNN news summary--both of which are updated hourly, I think.  We have listened to them as a class whenever I can squeeze in a brief activity.  I have posted places in the news on the board and also vocabulary such as "federal", "compound", "detainees", and "assassination."   I hope it is just one more way to expand the world of our students.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I learned from my niece about being able to text when you can't call...

    What a great way to fit in a bit of news. Shorter bites would be more manageable for them too (although maybe a bit too concise at times for a beginner). I hope that continues to work for you.
    -c

    ReplyDelete