Thursday, February 17, 2011

Technology and students

Years ago I needed to teach students how to use a mouse, how to double-click, and how to do many other basics skills in using computers.  We are still a long way from universal access to computers and the internet, but for the most part, these lessons are non-issues.

I bought a new iphone on Saturday.  I played with it some over the next two days, learning to text and to use and send photos.  I neglected to learn how to use it as a phone.  During class, I received a phone call from our volunteer.  I was unable to answer it and my inability was very public.  D asked very sweetly, but with a point, "Mary, how long have you had that phone?"  I have been chuckling about her question ever since! Times have changed.

3 comments:

  1. The other implication of your not knowing how the phone works is that you don't have family and friends calling you every 10 minutes asking, "Whatcha doing?" (And that's a good thing, in my book, in case that's not clear.)

    -christina, who may be younger than you, but still can't work Troy's ipod, let alone any type of phone like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned how to take a photo and send it to someone's cell phone or email address. I've learned how to do face time. Thanks, Amy, all the way from Katy, Texas for showing me how! And I haven't let it dominate my life--yet!

    ReplyDelete